Re: What's missing?

From: Richard Povall (richard@halfangel.org.uk)
Date: 04/25/03

The following message was posted to: dance-tech

At 13:09 -0400 24/4/03, Andy Clarke wrote:
>I would therefore like to ask another question: what do people feel is
>missing from existing systems? I personally feel that there is something
>about the tools we are using which is preventing these works from developing
>further.

My answer to this is quite simple:  what's lacking (in much of the
work but not necessarily intrinsically in the technology) is
human-ness and intuition.

Maybe Andy's suggestion of having a system that "automatically"
recognises parts of the body, and therefore how they function (?) is
one answer.  This was after one of the biggest breakthroughs in
animation.  In my work I've always tried to go the opposite way --
less information used more intuitively can often yield more human
results.

Too much objective data can only obscure what's going on within and
behind the movement, imho.

Good to see this list active again...

hello to all

--
R i c h a r d   P o v a l l
digital artist; co-artistic director, half/angel