Re: IDAT announcement

From: by way of dance-tech-admin@dancetechnology.org (orpheus@rice.edu)
Date: 09/25/03

The following message was posted to: dance-tech

hello all,

thanks for Mark's good response:

<<Nevertheless, I do hope that we find a way to convene again in the
future. Obviously, the technology and artistry of those working in
this field has progressed a great deal in the subsequent four years.
It would be good to see that in person......we should adopt the motto,
"think globally, act locally." That's what we're trying to do with
our Live-I Showings, which I have announced here previously. It's no
IDAT, but I hope that by the end of the year we will have a regular
gathering of of those working in the field of technology and live
performance here in NYC.>>

I don't want to dwell on the past and figure out why the organizational
effort to build a non-profit IDAT organization was so difficult or
unsuccessful,  but surely it was different from, say, building a company
or organization where everyone is in the same town/place and can meet in
the studio to work things out/decide on new programming, events, ideas,
policies, along with the more sustained effort of building a membership,
and generating a financial and logistical infrastructure, etc.

Looking ahead, what was on our mind but was not moved
forward yet was the issue of a new IDAT conference or festival, and Mark
already mentioned the issue of how we have progressed, how the field, or
the international community of individuals or groups working with
performance technologies, has evolved, how we think of this community,
and what are our means of convening or developing new occasions for the
exchange of practices, research and critical feedback. What are the
questions we are asking today, and in what venues do we ask them, and
how can we develop critical and creative contexts for focusing them.

Troika's Live-I Showings are a good and proactive model for such
platforms. I am confident that others are emerging as well, or have
already, and I encourage you all to help us build an annual calendar of
events.  I've talked to some of you already, and responded to numerous
inquiries after the Interaktionslabor Göttelborn:  I trust that with a
collective effort & local support I can help to organize an I-Date in
the UK next year.

with regards
Johannes Birringer
_ _