Re: telematic/telepresent?

From: by way of dance-tech-admin@dancetechnology.org (orpheus@rice.edu)
Date: 12/05/03

The following message was posted to: dance-tech

hello Nadja,

on telepresence/performance, check out the joint text the ADAPT group
published in the CORD conference proceedings (2001), ed. Johannes
Birringer, with Ellen Bromberg, Naomi Jackson, John Mitchell, Lisa
Naugle, and Doug Rosenberg.

also online:  http://www.dance.ohio-state.edu/workshops/ipstheory.html

for the development of this project, see:
http://www.dance.ohio-state.edu/workshops/ips3.html

As far as handling issues (you mean theoretical handling, yes?) with
tenacity, well, there is not that much published yet on telematic
performance or dance, but some have handled it, partly from our
community here, such as Lisa Naugle's essays, cf. a recent issue of
Performing Arts Journal [no. 70, 2002], or Sita Popat in Leonardo
(no.35, 2002);  partly from the media/digital arts side (Eduardo Kac,
Ken Goldberg, Roy Ascott, et al).

See also: Söke Dinkla and Martina Leeker, eds., Dance and
Technology/Tanz und Technologie: Moving towards Media Productions - Auf
dem Weg zu medialen Inszenierungen (Berlin: Alexander Verlag, 2003) -
especially the sections on Paul Sermon and Wayne McGregor.

Wilson, Stephen, Information Arts: A Survey of Art and Research at the
Intersection of Art, Science, and Technology.  Cambridge, MA.: MIT
Press, 2002.

I think the list of critical investigations is growing slowly, and in
Germany we see the beginnings of what is called "Netzwissenschaft"
(network science), while the recent AoiR conference on internet studies
in Toronto proved that social science research/communications studies
research on the net is alive and thriving. Unfortunately, there were
hardly any artists/performers at that AoiR conference.

For a bibliography (that needs updating, I will get to  it soon)
covering many of these areas of interest for us:

http://www.notam02.no/icma/interactivesystems/dance.html

(look at "general overview").

Incidentally, I would like to congratulate Dawn Stoppiello (with Mark
Coniglio) of Troika Ranch for being included with a strong, very honest
and illuminating essay ("fleshmotor")

in the new book edited by Judy Malloy:
Women, Art & Technology.  Cambridge, MA.L: MIT Press, 2003.

with regards
Johannes Birringer

Senior Research Fellow
School of Art and Design