e-Merge at the ICA London

From: kema T. (kema@kema.org.uk)
Date: 05/06/04

The following message was posted to: dance-tech

e-Merge
at the Institute of Contemporary Arts
The Mall, London, SW1
24th, 25th May - 8pm

A science/art/new technology event demonstrating
the powers of Emergence Theory in the generation
of interdisciplinary performance.

A close relative of Chaos and Complexity,
Emergence is a scientific phenomenon describing
dynamic systems that self-organise in
unpredictable ways: flocking birds, ant colonies,
street fashions, performance.

Long-term collaborators Jane Turner
(choreographer) and Daniel Biro (composer) have
been exploring scientific theories that generate
dynamic creative patterning as a source for new
performance works since 1996. The initial impetus
for this project was informed by Prof. Igor
Aleksander of Imperial College and his work on
Neural Networks.

The e-MERGE project is supported by European
Commission©–s cultural programme Culture 2000
amongst other sponsors. We have commissioned
creative computer programmers to create the
necessary software/hardware system that will be
employed to ‘conduct©– the performers on stage.

The ICA event will feature audio-visual
technologies, body and floor sensors and wireless
headsets communicating performance commands with
7 dancers and 5 singers integrating feedback into
the evolving performance organism. Emergent
intelligence at work.

Box Office: 020 7930 3647

For more info: <http://www.unsafesound.com>

Project leaders: Daniel Biro and Jane Turner
Computer artists:  Ian Morris, Nick Rothwell, Pedro Sepulveda, Alex Wilkie,
Ian Willcock
Scientist: Professor Igor Aleksander
Dancers: Katye Coe, Sally Dean, Gildas Diquero, Tom Hodgkins, Joe Moran,
Pia Nordin, Florence Peake
Singers: Frances M. Lynch and the Electric Voice Theatre
--
Kema T. Ekpei Esq.

kema@kema.org.uk
www.kema.org.uk

The information contained in this e-mail message
is usually intended only for the
person it is sent to. This message may be an
extraordinarily detailed and serious
document or it could just be me having a laugh.
If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient think yourself honoured to have received
correspondence from me in error. After you have
read the details of this email you
may delete it at your whim, if you like.