Re: scripting complexity and emergence

From: by way of dance-tech-admin@dancetechnology.org (nick@cassiel.com)
Date: 05/07/04

The following message was posted to: dance-tech

>  There are several reasons why the dance technology field might 'lag'
>  behind advances in other technological fields.  To name a few:
>  + funding
>  + organisational size
>  + the skill set of those involved
>  + the size of market/community of interested parties

To address Matt's specific point about tools and standards: a common
software-based "lingua franca" was one of the aims behind Michael
Klien's ChoreoGraph project, but despite our efforts over a period of
about three years to get that off the ground, it wasn't possible to
get financial support for a project with no specific commercial
application (specifically because we *wanted* a free, open platform as
a design aim).

In the end, the software and choreographic expertise was rolled into
bespoke solutions for projects at Vienna Volksoper and Ballett
Frankfurt.

However, having said this, I'm not sure I perceive such a
technological "lag", over and above the traits I'd associate with a
field where practical application is more important than dogma, or
than technology for its own sake.

>  Could we create a standardised procedural/oo dance instruction
>  language?  Is this an aim of the e-Merge project?

No. The aim of the e-Merge project is to use software to facilitate
and amplify the process of creating choreography using formal rules,
pattern-matching and inference. I see the software component of
e-Merge as providing incomplete arcs of a circular feedback system
which generates choreographic rules from the results of previous
choreographic rules; the rest of the arc is provided by the
choreographer, possibly in the good old-fashioned learn-some-steps
manner. The rules embodied in e-Merge need not encapsulate any
choreographic knowledge at all, so long as they close the loop in an
interesting, generative manner.

There are parallels with Klien's DUPLEX for Ballett Frankfurt, where
the software was programmed with complex rules of association in order
to assemble choreographic blocks, without actually encapsulating the
choreography within the blocks. And, again, the dancers also applied
choreographic rules which were independent of those held on computer.

(And Klien's earlier work PROXSIMA'S DRIFT was also rule-based, but
with no computers; the rules were memorised by the dancers.)

As something of an aside, the QUARTET project by Margie Medlin has,
perhaps as a technological stepping stone rather than design aim, a
mediating software system for controlling a virtual dance figure; the
input is gestural control and audio analysis, but there is something
of an intermediate specification for the way in which the virtual
dancer's body can be directed; and the project also incorporates
camera control and a notion of "film language."

>  I really like the ideas outlined in the e-Merge project, but I get a
>  bit twitchy when we expect systems to defy their programming and do
>  things without needing to be asked.  How does a program shed its
>  programming?

That's the whole point of e-Merge: behaviour emerges which is not
manifest in the rules. Or do you mean something else? Nothing "defies
its programming" here.

>  Emergent theory in computing is really huge
>  and difficult; the modelling of truly emergent systems requires a lot
>  of software and parallel hardware even if the simulated system seems
>  relatively simple.

I don't think that's so; for example, Conway's Life is extremely
simple and its resource requirements are very modest, and yet it
clearly manifests emergent properties. (I'm distinguishing between
"emergent" and "chaotic.") Or do you mean something specific by
"modelling" or "truly emergent"?

--

   nick rothwell -- composition, systems, performance -- http://www.cassiel.com