Re: Kazuo Ohno Festival 2004 and Archive

From: by way of dance-tech-admin@dancetechnology.org (david2divizio@yahoo.ca)
Date: 06/11/04

The following message was posted to: dance-tech

In a  back channel communciation that I want to share
with the dance-tech list at large...

Yukihiko Yoshida <yukihiko@sfc.keio.ac.jp> wrote:
>  Hello from TOKYO,
>
>  Yes I know Oikawa-san. He is well known in Japan.
>  His company is famous around TOKYO.
>
>  Yours Sincerely,
>  Yukihiko YOSHIDA

Ja, yoroshiku, onegaishimasu....
mou, konogoro no emeiru jusho oshiette kudasai

d^Vid
... and here, le P.S. longue....

When I was living in the performance world in Japan,
sometimes I would hear things like Antonin Artaud
inspired Hijikatta-san... kedo.... I wonder if
Hijikatta ever even heard of Artaud!!!! He was a
freakin' farmer.... (a brilliant, dancing, freakin'
farmer, albeit) ...and I don't think he much cared
anyway, about Artaud, if he did know the name or
Artaud's work!  Hijikatta, for as much as I can figure
out, was pretty much pre-occupied with his OWN
genius.... THANKFULLY!

The connection (I mean, the confusion, among those who
might suggest a connection between Artaud and
Hijikatta) can be found in the name of Oikawa-san's
studio!  Maison d'Artaud!

Further, I believe if not for Oikawa-san... Butoh may
never have been created, and were it somehow, it would
never have risen to its' level of significance, but
for the genius of Oikawa-san.... who knew precisely
where and how to position Butoh in art history!

I believe Oikawa-san's influence in the establishment
of Butoh as (arguably) the most important art form
coming out of Japan in 200 years, is vastly
un-recognized, particularly in the international dance
community.

More, I wonder if more consideration ought not be
given Oikawa-san's personal dance (Soijeq)... as it
relates to technology!

sincerely,
d^Vid2diVizio

=====