Re: Media Relations & Interfaces

From: kema T. (kema@kema.org.uk)
Date: 06/18/04

The following message was posted to: dance-tech

>I also notice that we (now) have had a discussion on terminology,
>but rarely do we see the list come alive regarding new and
>challenging work that might be produced, or seen on the stages or in
>the galleries of the world,. and how do we see that work, and
>respond to it?  I'd love to hear some critical language, some
>theoetical engagement with new work,

Hi Everybody :)

Johannes ,

When you say "critical language and theoretical engagement" in my
terminology it sounds like you're saying lets have some feedback
about dancing ; the physical stuff.

I have had discussions out of list with people about the lack of
dance talked about within this list, and how it can come to life
simply by someone mentioning something theoretical and abstract that
doesn't really mean that much to many people.

I think it would be interesting to have a census of all subscribers
to this list to see what they would describe themselves as and what
their interests are.

For example I am a dance educator/performer/choreographer, I use
Lifeforms as a base to create 3d animations, I make short dance
films, I introduce the use of video and other technology as an aid to
my work in education, I am teaching myself how to use Isadora to
enhance my teaching and performance work.

I trained as a dancer because I like moving my body in space, I like
the use of technology and dance because it can make it more
interesting for me to make and more interesting for people to watch.

This snip from Richard Povall.

"We are all doing quite different things with these technologies, and
at the big events where we all come together (Monaco, etc.) I see
remarkably little common ground, not just in aesthetic, but in
fundamental approach."

For me common ground is a big deal, it's what allows people to
communicate and understand each other, it's why we have such big
threads on the terminology used by people.

People do different things but consider themselves part of the same community.

I like making dance that an audience can have an emotional reaction
to (hopefully positive) otherwise there was no point in inviting an
audience to see it.

Some people like making electronic devices that enhance the feedback
between dancer and environment and audience.

Some people like to use advanced software and hardware together to
make performance work where the theory is the important thing not the
performance.

If all the subscribers to the list met up socially what would we talk
about, would we have anything in common?

Thanks

Kema

--
Kema T. Ekpei Esq.