Re: Media Relations & Interfaces

From: by way of dance-tech-admin@dancetechnology.org (matt-gough@SAFe-mail.net)
Date: 07/02/04

The following message was posted to: dance-tech

kent and all,

I probably should have been more specific, improvisation has become
something of a dirty word 'in the uk', as it is true that "movement
improvisation" is generally more accepted in the european continent.
"contact improvisation" however seems to be departing further and
further from it's original form. for purposes of information my own
work (theories) on improvisation / emergence, and development of
epikinetic dance technologies / autonomous improvising avatars, is a
direct result of my study with lisa nelson (and to a lesser extent
conversations with steve paxton). lisa also introduced me to your own
writings on technology and improvisation (which reminds me of my pet
'to do' project mapping out the lineage of dance technology and dance
tech practitioners). the two books you mentioned are indeed very
good, for those interested they are;

Albright, Ann Cooper and Gere, David (Eds) (2003) "Taken by Surprise:
A Dance Improvisation Reader". Wesleyan University Press. ISBN
0819566489

Foster, Susan Leigh (2002) "Dances That Describe Themselves: The
Improvised Choreography of Richard Bull". Wesleyan University Press.
ISBN 0819565512

matt

(the longer response can be found here
[http://www.scottsutherland.com/dancetechnology/archive/2003/0623.html]
and a example of how epikinetic dance technology might be used for
'improv' with real dancers can be found here
[http://www.scottsutherland.com/dancetechnology/archive/2003/0614.html])

(if you are trying to follow these longer threads if might be worth
looking at
[http://www.scottsutherland.com/dancetechnology/archive/2003/] i also
use it to see if any postings have missed my inbox)